What You Should Know Before You Buy Replacement Doors
Exterior replacement doors can be a beautiful architectural focus of your home, but they also bear the brunt of the elements. Looks have to be backed by performance.
Fortunately for homeowners, technology has come a long way. Champion Replacement Doors look as good as wood doors (that will eventually warp, crack and bow) but perform better and longer.
When looking for a quality entry door system keep these points in mind:
- Make sure the door is designed and manufactured as a system. In a system, everything is designed to work together for long term reliability and maximum energy efficiency
- A steel or fiberglass entry door will give you the look of a wood door, if you like, or just be an option that will outlast and outperform wood doors without the time consuming maintenance
- Make sure your entry door system is ENERY STAR® rated for your area. ENERGY STAR® rated entry doors can qualify for a Federal Tax credit. Be sure you get documentation to give to your tax consultant
- Be sure the company you work with offers a lifetime warranty on their door and the door installation so you are covered either way should you need service.
- Look for higher gauge steel (at least 22 gauge) for maximum dent resistance and durability
- If your replacement door is fiberglass or stainable steel, look for a natural, deep embossed surface that will give your door a richer look when stained
- Make sure your replacement door consultant helps you understand the importance of exposure, direction-wise and to the elements. They should be able to educate you and recommend the proper door configuration most suited for you.
- Be sure your new door has a full thermal break (part of a door that reduces transfer of cold or heat from one surface to another) for maximum energy efficiency.
- Be sure all weather stripping seals properly and the threshold interlocks with the door's bottom edge.
- When selecting a door with decorative glass, be sure it is encased in an energy efficient glass for ultimate efficiency and protection of your decorative glass’s delicate bevels and caming.
- A replacement door warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. Be sure that the company you choose to work with has been in business long enough to be stable, is willing to educate you about choices and offers you references from other customers.