If you’re like most homeowners, you’re always finding projects to take on in order to make your home more beautiful and more functional. But, there is only so much time (and, more importantly, so much money) to devote to home improvement at once. So, how do you choose what to improve around your home, and when?
Return on investment is a great way to begin ranking your home improvement projects. According to Remodeling magazine’s annual Cost vs. Value Report, the top-ranking home improvement is a new front entry door, adding on average 90.7% of the amount you spend to the value of your home.
But, how do you know whether your home’s entry door needs to be at the top of your to-do list for home improvement projects? Here are 5 observable signs that a new entry door would be a good investment for you.
- DRAFTS - The seals around your door age just as the door itself does. And, when they do, they can shrink and crack — giving the cold air outside an open invitation into your home. If it isn’t the cold that makes you shiver, your energy bills certainly will.
- VISIBLE CRACKS IN THE DOOR ITSELF - Besides giving bugs and drafts a thoroughfare into your home, cracks can be a sign that the door is structurally weak, which can be a serious safety concern.
- MOISTURE IN THE WINDOW - Condensation build-up between the panes of glass in your door is more than an annoyance; if you have a wood door, the moisture can lead to health concerns in the form of mold and mildew.
- HINGES THAT SQUEAK - As door hinges wear down, the sound they make could very well be your door telling you “it’s time to replace me.” From both a functional and security point of view, squeaky hinges serve as a warning signal.
- SCRAPES ON THE FLOOR - When old doors warp and sag, they are not only difficult to open and shut properly, they can also cause damage to your floor as the bottom of the door scrapes across your floor’s surface.
If one or more of these signs of the need for a new entry door apply to your home, let Champion help. Champion Doors are designed and built by Champion employees right here in the USA. You will have the opportunity to select your ideal look with an array of colors, materials, and glass to fit your vision. Each door is custom built to perfectly fit your home, and is installed at no extra charge. Get started with a free in-home estimate now.