- One of the most important things to research when shopping for replacement windows is the warranty the company offers.
- Window companies that don’t manufacture their own windows may not be as knowledgeable about the product, and you may also pay more for the product, because they likely mark up the price.
- Learn as much as you can about how the company handles the installation process (such as who does the work), so there are no surprises or hidden costs.
Buying new windows is not something we do every day. Choosing a window replacement company can feel confusing. How do you compare companies? What are the most important things to look out for?
Here are five questions homeowners often ask themselves when comparing window companies.
1. What qualifiers should I look for in a window company?
- Better Business Bureau rating: a positive rating ensures good customer service and provides peace of mind when selecting a company to work with
- Awards for manufacturing, sales, or customer service: awards showcase good quality products
- Energy Star ratings
- Years in business: this helps to determine quality of products and future customer service availability
2. What design qualities should I look for in a window?
There are various aspects of replacement window design to consider when deciding which company to work with, including:
- Frame material and construction
- Color and style options
- Glass quality
Be sure to test out sample window designs and see colors in person before selecting your product. Read more about material choices and why they matter.
3. Do they manufacture the windows?
If the company builds their own windows, you eliminate working with middlemen and receive factory direct pricing.
On the other hand, if the company purchases from a manufacturer and sells through their retail store to you, you may be investing in middleman markups. This could also lead to potential warranty issues when determining who to call if a problem occurs. Windows manufactured in the USA also eliminate additional distribution markups.
Plus, a company that manufactures its own windows, as Champion does, truly knows the product and they are experts on every aspect of the product.
4. Who will be installing the windows? Do they sub-contract?
It is common to find that window replacement companies utilize sub-contractors to install their product. The important factors to consider when selecting a company to work with include:
- Additional cost
- Certified contractors
- Licensed and insured
- Warranty on labor
Licensed and insured contractors provide peace of mind that your windows will be installed correctly. This also shows the company is backing up their work if anything were to go wrong. Purchasing windows where installation is included makes the process easier now, and it could be important later if you were to need to use a warranty.
5. Do they offer a warranty?
When considering a new window purchase, the warranty that comes with your product is very important. New windows are a large investment for your home. If your kids accidentally kick a ball through your window, or your screen rips or a seal fails, you want to be sure your warranty has you covered.
Window warranty is one of the most important things to ask about when shopping for replacement windows. The warranty can also greatly affect the overall price and your future peace of mind.
Download our helpful Window Buyer’s Guide Checklist to use when shopping for new windows for your home. Do your research to invest your money in a good product and company.