- Picture windows are perfect for maximizing a great view or bringing light into a room.
- Picture windows are made of a single pane of glass and do not open.
- Picture windows come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
A picture window is exactly what it sounds like: a window that creates an unobstructed picture of your outside surroundings. A picture window consists of a single pane of glass without any rails to obstruct the view.
Also known as fixed windows—because they don't open —picture windows let in lots of light. A picture window is a great way to bring the outdoors inside, because it gives the feeling of being inside the view.
Homeowners use picture windows strategically--to take advantage of a great view, to open up a room, and connect it to the outdoors.
Pros and cons of picture windows
- Maximize a great view. You can’t beat a picture window for offering unobstructed views of the landscape.
- Plentiful light. Use a picture window anywhere that needs more natural light, such as a cramped stairway.
- Airtight. A picture window is airtight, so you won't have to worry about drafts or leaks.
- Versatile. Picture windows come in many shapes and sizes.
- No ventilation. Because picture windows don't open, they don't offer any ventilation.
- Challenging to clean. The exterior of the pane can only be cleaned from the outside.
- No emergency escape. Since the window doesn’t open, it can’t be used for an emergency escape.